It would seem these days, that everyone is afraid of carbs. And bread, and wheat. Fear not, my friends, there is a time and a place for everything!! This is seriously one of my favorite bread recipes- and it’s supposed to be similar to the bread from Macaroni Grill. Me and my sister Valerie have maybe on occasion eaten the entire loaves ourselves. I adapted it a little to make it more healthy, (because it IS pretty dense- just be aware) but it’s a great bread to have with an Italian dish instead of French bread, or white breadsticks, etc. And besides some rising time, it’s not complicated at all-trust me, I am not an expert on bread-making 😉
1 cup warm water (100-110 F)
1 Tbsp. coconut sugar
2 tsp. active dry yeast
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. fresh rosemary, chopped (or 2 tsp. dried)
1/4 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 cup (white) whole wheat flour
1/2 cup oat flour (I whip up oat flour from rolled oats, in the blender. It’s cheaper)
1/2 cup bread flour + extra for kneading
1 egg, whisked + 1 Tbsp. water, for egg wash
dried rosemary, for sprinkling
1. In a large bowl, combine the warm water, sugar, and yeast. Let sit 10 minutes to proof.
2. Stir in the salt, rosemary, seasonings, olive oil, and whole wheat flour. Add the oat and bread flour and stir until the dough forms a ball. Knead on a lightly floured surface for about 5 minutes, adding more flour as necessary to prevent sticking, until smooth.
3. Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl; cover; and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
4. Punch down the dough and form it into a round loaf. Place it on a pizza stone or pan lined with parchment paper
5. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 F. Once the dough has risen, gently brush the top with egg wash and sprinkle with dried rosemary.
6. Bake on pizza stone for 20-25 minutes until the top is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped.
Makes 1 round loaf.
It’d be delicious paired with spaghetti squash “pasta,” with a ground turkey and tomato sauce.
Or try it with an Italian tomato-based soup!